- Toss oxtail in flour and heat a large saucepan on the hob over a medium heat.
- Brown the oxtail in batches in 1 tbsp oil, on all sides. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the vegetables along with the remaining tbsp of oil, and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add everything apart from the stock and simmer for 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol
- Pour in stock, turn down the heat as low as possible and pop the lid on
- Allow to simmer very gently for 3 hours, stirring often to ensure it doesn’t stick to the pan
- Once the meat easily falls off the bone, fish out both bones and large chunks of meat using a slotted spoon and set aside
- Whizz up the soup with a stick blender till smooth, then shred the meat back into it
- Stir and serve hot with crusty bread and butter. Steamed-up glasses optional!
There’s nothing like a good homemade meat stock to boost your soups. Make your own by boiling bones for 2 hours minimum, longer if possible, letting it reduce to concentrate the stock. Ask us for some FREE Stock Bones next time you order…
GOT THE CUT? Buy Oxtail here
Rate this recipe
Your comment or suggestion
Comments on this recipe
No comments yet