Guide to pan fryingGuide to pan frying

3 steps to a perfect BBQ


Barbecuing requires close attention from the cook as the food can burn quickly. The rewards are beautifully caramelised, juicy meat, delicious for al fresco dining.

1. Prepare & preheat

 

Make sure your BBQ is clean before you preheat it. Electric gas BBQs may take 10 to 20 minutes to preheat and charcoal needs to burn until the coals are covered with a layer of ash (approx. 45 minutes). Charcoal cooks the meat more evenly than briquettes. Allow the meat to come to room temperature and remove from packaging 20 minutes before cooking. Season or marinate if you like, but don't salt the meat until the last monemt, as it will draw out its juices.

2. Sizzle

 

Brush the meat with oil and lay gently on the BBQ.  Cook slowly until browned and turn just once. Use tongs rather than a fork, so you don't pierce the meat. Cook the meat on its first side for 60% of its total cooking time, and the 2nd side for the remaining 40% of the total time. Use the press test to check if your meat is done, or use a meat thermometer for larger cuts.

3. Rest

 

Don't be tempted to serve your burgers, steaks and other cuts straight off the BBQ - this will lead them to seem tough and will let their juice run out. Rest the meat on a rack, loosely covered with foil in a warm place for up to 20 minutes.

Chef's Tip


Pay attention throughout cooking - if anything looks like it may burn, move it further away from the heat so it will cook more slowly.
Raising the rack to around 30cm above the coals ahould be just right.

Cover the BBQ with a lid as much as possible during the cooking process, especially for larger cuts.
This helps them cook more evenly, lock in the BBQ flavour and prevents flare-ups.

barbecuing
BBQ burger
BBQ cooking steak
BBQ meat


Beef, lamb, pork & veal cooking times

4 - 6 minutes in total

Burgers

Burgers

All classic steak, Lamb & Pork Burgers

Steaks (rare)

Steaks

All Ribeye & Sirloin Steaks (rare)
All Minute Steaks 110g (rare)

Mini Steaks

Mini Steaks

All Steak Medallions
Lamb Valentine Steaks & Noisettes (medium)

Other

Other

Lamb Fillets (medium)
Pork Fillet

6 - 8 minutes in total

Mini Steak Burgers

Mini Steak Burgers

Steaks (medium)

Fillet Steaks
All Ribeye & Sirloin Steaks (medium)
All Minute Steaks 110g (medium)
Minute Rump Steaks 170g (medium)
Prime Rump Steaks
Pavé Rump Steaks
Picanha Steak, Flat Iron Steak, Chuck Eye Steak, Onglet Steak, Bavette Steak, Skirt Steak

Mini Steaks

Mini Steaks (well done)

All Mini Steaks
Lamb Valentine Steaks & Noisettes (well done)
Lamb Loins

10 - 20 minutes in total

Steak Burgers & Kebabs

Burgers & Kebabs

Aberdeen Angus, Fillet, Ribeye, Sirloin Steak Burgers, All Seasoned Burgers

Steaks (well done)

Steaks

All Ribeye & Sirloin Steaks (well done)
Minute Rump Steaks 170g (well done)
Fillet, Sirloin & Ribeye Carnivores' Steaks
Pork Loin Steaks & Chops
Veal Loin & Ribeye Steaks
Veal Rib, Club & T-Bone Steaks

Roasts

Roasts

Mini Rump Roast
Chateaubriand
Rib Roast
Lamb Racks & Short Saddle
Mini Lamb Leg (boneless)

Sausages

Sausages

Traditional Sausages & Chipolatas
Bratwurst

30 - 60 minutes in total

Roasts

Roasts

Ribeye Roast 1kg
Heart of Rump Roast
Tafelspitz
Boneless Leg of Lamb
Pork Loin Roast
Veal 2-Bone Rib

Please note: These times are suggested as a guide only and may vary depending on equipment used and circumstances.