First Cut Lamb Leg Steaks
Easy to home cook extra-thick, juicy lamb chops
- Full cross-section sliced from top of leg and full of flavour
- Hand cut here in our Inverurie butchers
- Complete with piece bone for an extra rich flavour when cooked
- Code: GRL792
- Price per kg:
- Item weight:
A delicious chunky cut chop with a real depth of flavour you will love. Easy to pan fry and rest for plenty of tempting succulence. A chop that brings unbeatable value.
1. Prepare the meat Allow the defrosted meat to come to room temperature, and at least 30 minutes before cooking, remove it from its packaging and pat dry with kitchen paper. Preheat the oven to 140°C-160°C/Fan120°C-140°C/Gas 1-3.
2. Sear for flavour Heat a large ovenproof pan on a high heat, add a little oil and sear the meat until evenly browned all over. Season well then take out the meat and sauté a mix of diced onion, carrot and celery.
3. Add the liquid After sautéing the vegetables, place the meat back in the pan. Add wine, stock or water, and herbs or spices. Make sure that the liquid covers at least a third to a half of the meat and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. The cooking process Cover with a lid and transfer into the preheated oven, or continue to simmer gently on the hob at a very low temperature. We recommend the oven method as the process is gentler and the meat does not stick to the pot. Check from time to time and top up with liquid if needed.
5. Test the meat Cooking times vary depending on your oven. Check after 1 hour and at regular intervals thereafter. Basting as you go. Insert a meat fork into the thickest part of the shank Í it should slide in and out easily. Or simply take a piece out and taste it.
Allow a total cooking time between 1½ to 2 hrs, or until tender.