1. Split a vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and put both seeds and pod into a saucepan with 400ml double cream and 50ml milk. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. In a large Pyrex bowl, beat 5 egg yolks with 5 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cornflour.
3. Remove the pod from the heated cream and pour onto the yolk mixture, stirring vigorously.
4. Put the bowl over a saucepan containing an inch of boiling water.
5. Stirring continuously, heat until the custard thickens to coat the back of your wooden spoon (about 3-4 mins).
Important – don’t allow it to boil or you will have sweet scrambled eggs!
Purchase your ingredients...
Rate this recipe
Your comment or suggestion
Comments on this recipe
No comments yet